Mountain View Community Protestant Church
In June 1916, the first annual meeting of the Mountain View First Union Protestant Church was held, climaxing several years of devoted efforts on the part of a handful of people who dreamed of a church of their own in the little hamlet of Mountain View. Records show that by 1915 they had raised nearly $1800.00. – more than $38,200.00 in today’s dollars!
Remaining funds were raised through a variety of methods, with emphasis on chicken pie suppers, especially when summer visitors were ‘in camp.” The cellar was dug in the fall of 1915. Neighbors donated their labor and the work moved forward rapidly. By Spring of 1916, the building was usable, and services were held here regularly every Sunday from spring until fall, and often in winter, as well. Records show a dedication service in September 1927, which may be the date when the building was entirely finished and free from debt.
The interior of the building is tongue and groove Douglas fir wainscoting, a practical wall covering at the time, and now recognized as a distinctive Adirondack church architectural style. The rich deep tone of the vintage cast bronze church bell is a special call to worship. The large white ash cross above the altar was a gift from a parishioner. The distinctive sound of the antique pump organ supplements the music of the electric organ. Singers and Musicians often remark on the amazing acoustics of the building. In 2004, the church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As they have through the years, visiting ordained and lay clergymen and women from the area generously give their time to lead the worship services.
In 1982, after many years as an independent church, a small group of dedicated church members made the decision to make arrangements for the Centenary United Church of Malone to take ownership of the church property and supervision of the church to ensure that the church could continue to be a viable community entity.
June 2009 marked another milestone for our church, with support from Centenary, we once again became a separate legal entity, incorporated as a religious organization in the State of New York, governed by our own Trustees. At the same time, because of legal requirements related to the existing name, the Mountain View First Union Protestant Church became the Mountain View Community Protestant Church, MVCPC, and has attained a not-for profit status in order to provide tax credits for large donations.
The mission of the MVCPC has three facets:
- to provide a place of worship in the interdenominational, Protestant traditions to advance the spiritual health of the community
- to enrich the life of the community through events that bring the community together, and through cooperation with, and the support of, other community organizations
- to preserve and communicate the history of the Church and the community
Today, all those associated with the Mountain View Community Protestant Church acknowledge with sincere appreciation the great debt owed our devoted forefathers and mother who over the years have given so faithfully of their “prayers, presence, gifts, and service,” so that this “Little Church in the Mountains,” might first of all ‘come to pass,’ and now continue to carry on its significant mission in our community.